Spell Songs is a musical companion piece to The Lost Words authored by Robert Macfarlane and artist Jackie Morris, a celebrated ‘spell book’ rich with poetic rhythms and imagined birdsong that naturally invited a musical response.
The musicians who created Spell Songs – Karine Polwart, Julie Fowlis, Seckou Keita, Kris Drever, Rachel Newton, Beth Porter and Jim Molyneux – will be joined on stage by Robert Macfarlane himself and award-winning artist Jackie Morris.
- Karine Polwart: songwriter, theatre-maker and storyteller, whose script for her show Wind Resistance was chosen by Robert Macfarlane as The Guardian’s ‘Best Book’.
- Julie Fowlis: taking forward the Gaelic tradition, Julie is known for her crystalline and intoxicating voice; winner of BBC Radio 2 Folk Singer of the Year.
- Seckou Keita: an exceptional and charismatic musician; arguably the most influential and inspiring kora (22 stringed West African harp) player of his generation.
- Kris Drever: one of Scotland’s finest songwriters, a member of Lau, and BBC Radio 2 Folk Singer of the Year.
- Rachel Newton: a singer and harpist with a reputation for ‘haunting and compelling’ (The Guardian) performances; awarded BBC Radio 2 Folk Musician of the Year.
- Beth Porter: a well-known cellist on the UK folk and acoustic scene and one half of The Book Shop Band.
- Jim Molyneux: a prodigious talent on many instruments, with an ear for a variety of genres from folk through to jazz and hip hop.
Spell Songs has enjoyed standing ovations at sellout performances at major venues around the UK, including London’s Southbank Centre and the Hay Festival.
‘A glorious blend of music and pictures celebrating British wildlife with all kinds of fantastic folk players involved’ (Mark Radcliffe, BBC Radio 2 Folk Show)
‘Enchantment indeed’ (★★★★★ Songlines)
‘Graceful and mighty’ (★★★★ The Scotsman)
Duration: approx. 2 hours 25 minutes (incl. 20-minute interval)